Thursday, March 31, 2011

Write-up

Back home my mother works in an after school tutoring program, which she loves. She has always loved tutoring. If you remember from one of my very first posts I talked about my mom being the Title 7 and Title 1 tutors at my middle school. Well, she has one student who has an excuse for everything. In remembering that I do the panel every semester she asked for me to write up a quick synopsis of what I tell people when on the panel. It is interesting to put it in written form. She said that yesterday she looked at this girl and told her about me and how I have had so many times that I could have given up and yet I haven't.
I have a nephew who is exhibiting the same signs of ADD that I have. In talking with my sister I mentioned that I do not expect for him to go one to get his Master's degree, however, I do hope that he can look at me and say that if she could do it I can too. That is my hope. i hope that I can be a guiding influence for many children in the future who feel like they can not make it. Instead if allowing myself to be a statistic of high school drop outs, I became a statistic of college graduates with a disability.
I was talking with a man from my class today and he asked how I was holding up this week. I told him that I am going to finish off this smester as strong as I started it. That is all that I can do. I received my officaial denial letter in the mail this week. It was disheartening, but because I knew that it was coming I was able to shrug it off. He said that he can see me in several years giving a speach to youth or young adults about the importance of not giving up. He said that he can see me standing up there and saying something to the effect of "I put so much effort into my undergraduate degree, I spent eight years getting to that point, and when I went to apply for my graduate program, I could not even get in. Never fear though, perseverence is the key...." I'd love that. I would actually really like to do insperational speaking assignments. I think that it could be really fun.

No comments: