Friday, March 4, 2011

Joy

Today I witnessed something really neat. I saw 30+ coworkers and some supervisors all signing Happy Birthday to our Deaf co-worker. Every Friday at work we celebrate the birthdays that are in the coming week. This Sunday is his birthday. The Supervisor asked him to come to the front of the group and said that he would just have to know that we are singing to him. His interpreter had the idea to have me stand in front with her and we would lead the group in signing to him. It was really neat and many people commented how neat they thought that it was. Another coworker who is deaf, but does not sign even commented on how neat she thought it was. I have gotten a lot of practice over the last few days as I have helped out as an interpreter when his interpreter has been unavailable for applying for other work. Side note, we are encouraged to find another job while working there. It has been a fascinating week, and I have felt very fulfilled the days that I come home after helping out. I love the language and I love helping out. I have thought about going and getting my interpreters license, but I do not know if I could do it all day every day.

No comments: