Friday, July 2, 2010

Reading... it is not all the same.

I get asked sometimes what it is like being Dyslexic. More specifically, what things look like to me verses what they look like to someone without a reading disability. This is a hard question to answer. I would love to be able to tell you exactly how it is different, unfortunatly, however, I can not. I can't because I do not know what it is like to be able to read normally. What I can tell you is that sometimes letters jump all over the page. Sometimes I have to look away or close my eyes for a little bit, and then I can see to read something. Sometimes, the words appear to be just right, but my mind does not process them, making me slow down and really focus. I know that it takes me twice as long as my piers to read anything. I know that when asked to read something to myself in a classroom setting I often do not because I know that I will just get frustrated when I am halfway through and the class starts discussing the passage. I know that it is embarising to be the person in class holding a lecture up because I can not manage to get the words down fast enough. I know that when traveling with my sister to Washington DC, while visiting Arlington we were visiting a memorial of Women in Combat and I would read only about half of what was written because I felt like I was taking too long. When I say that I can not explain it, it is not because I am being difficult. It is because I honestly, truly, have no idea how to explain it.

1 comment:

Memory Keeper said...

Besides, it is different for each person. For me, I had no idea that it is unusual to have days where everything looks like it is printed in Russian. That is the 'normal' for me. So for those of you who never experience a disconnect between the written word and the brain--well, that is Not 'normal' in my world!