Sunday, December 23, 2012

What's in a name?

I got to thinking today about the name and purpose of my blog. Fighting Against the Norm. When I was starting this blog, I had recently finished a course which required deep reflection on some of life's great adventures, at least it seemed that way for me; my entire first 13 years of school. I really planned to focus on being the best advocate this country has ever seen for people with learning disabilities, because, well, that is where I was and what I thought defined me. When I started this blog, the first thing that I thought of, was to call it Seeing Backwards, because I see things from a different angle sometimes than others, especially when it comes to reading.
I have come to realize that everything in my life is viewed from a slightly different angle, and, it is not that I am purposefully being different, it is that that is just how I view things. In retrospect, I am glad that I went with Fighting Against the Norm because I am able to discuss what that means to me in several different ways. I still plan to write about being a student with a learning disability (or two) but also life in general.

No comments: