Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Can't pass forever

From a disability prospective, to pass is to try and live your life without people knowing that you have a disability. Although all of my disabilities are hidden, I am proud of them. Well, I do not know if 'proud' is really the word that I want to use, but I am not afraid to let people know and to help raise awareness. Last semester I was asked by a former professor to appear on a panel in her class to help raise awareness of disability. The five of us on the panel all had at least one disability and they were all different. After I described my disabilities, the teacher told the class that she had no idea that I had so much going on. That was the class where I learned about passing and I had always just told my teachers not to use red ink when I would have to read it. It is not that I am color blind. Quite the opposite actually. I really quite enjoy all of the colors of the rainbow in all their variety. I can see the color red, I just can not READ what is written in red ink all of the time. Some days are good days, and some are bad days. Like most disabilities it varies from day to day. For me, it is easier to just blanket it and tell everyone that I can not read red. Period. I got some help on my resume this morning, and the never ending problem came up. I want to specifically work with those with disabilities. I plan to go to graduate school for Rehabilitation Counseling, and I would love start working in that direction. I decided that it would be good to put on my resume that I appeared on a panel to help raise awareness of disabilities. Then there is the question of how to word it when they ask me why I am so passionate about raising awareness. I could cite all of the people around me whom I have seen struggle with disabilities. That is a big part of it, but at the end of the day, it boils down to I am so passionate because I have felt beet down, down trodden and have had to fight my way through to get to where I am now in my life. Then there is when to tell and employer that I have a disability. They can not inquire period, however I can offer the information. I have done that, and I sometimes wonder if it in some way cost me the job.

No comments: